Friday 22 July 2016

The Little Prince

The first book we bought you. Bear in mind, you were about 2.3 centimeters tall, by then. 

I loved the book when I was growing up, and then someday someone who loved the book at least as much as I did decided to create a pop-up book based on the author's own illustrations, with animations. The first time I saw it, I went crazy. It was also crazy expensive, so I didn't have the means to buy it. Well, not for myself, though I wanted it. I bought it to my nefil and niece the first oportinity I had. And then, upon your notice (that is, the notice that you were already on your way), I decided it was time.

I, at this time, haven't read the book again, have opened it only one time, to take a second look (I didn't do so at the store). And I won't, I will probably download it to read it to you in English (for your sake) or translate it live, when reading it to you. I can't wait. And yet, I remember.

I remember a book that made me realize the world was too small to concern myself only with money (the star accountant), or with power (the little king), that it is important to do my job (the volcano sweeper) and take care of the things  I own (the planet taken by baobas). A book that taught me that the essential is invisible to the eye, that all that matters in life is love (the lesson of the fox), that people have idiossincrasies and are complicated things, but that we can profit from our relationship with them - and sometimes we need a break as well (remember the Little Prince's relationship with the Rose). It is a great book. It was important for me at a very tender age. But, funny thing, it didn't decrease in importance through my life, it remained as significant as it was, originally.

I don't know if that means that I have an infantilized view of the world of if it means that it is very true. Maybe both. But That is something that I cannot say for sure, and would never be able to - that would be a judgement that only someone from outside is entitled to make. So I leave it to you. 

All I can do is wonder. But some of the lessons in that book remain with me to this day. And maybe I'm not the most practical of men, but I'm certainly a loyal and responsible one, who does not overvalue material things, and is concerned with the immaterial (though not in a religious way). At this time, at this place, it seems like a good attitude to have.

Anyway, You'll probably be a better judge of that than I am.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.