Saturday 23 July 2016

Update on your mom's pregnant habits (you never asked for it)

At this moment, your mum is under a staggering number of sheets, only her nose sticking out, watching the News on the telly, with the preparations for the 2016 Olympic Games in Brazil. That is, watching whatever is on, since neither of us cares or follows any sport on TV (or outside). Even our exercising activities are walking and (her case) Pilates.

It's not that cold, and I'm getting ready for dinner. Or ready to cook dinner. I've been trying to put some quality on our diet (vegetables, lots of green leafs, grains and roots, and meat - I fear she diminushed her milk-based intake, but today we had some ice cream, so I figure that's ok). But I have never cooked so much nor so often in my life. I enjoy cooking, and I'm a pretty good cook even if I say so myself, but she is eating like crazy. And gets fed up with certain foods pretty quickly, too. This is good, because it brings a lot of variety to her diet, so I don't complain - but am I fed up with cooking!

She sleeps a lot, and has little disposition. Her ginecologist told her that this is probably going away on the end of her first trimester. Her body is starting to change - her tummy is already starting to grow, and is very rigid to the touch (so you know... it's not fat from the food intake, it's YOU). Her breasts are swelling a bit and she's sleepy all the time. Pretty much normal. 

One thing that concerns us a little is that Roberta is 40, already, and so the pregnancy may not be totally free from problems - but we hope. And we expect. And we can't wait, really. So we are trying to educate ourselves the best we can. Not without a little bumps in the way - today I made hibiscus tea, and (after the tea was ready), looked it up. It turns out it is not indicated for pregnant women. So I drank it and made her lemon grass tea instead. I kinda liked it, and want to turn it into a habit, so that's ok. But it could have decreased her blood pressure, had we not looked. 

It scares me how unprepared we are. We live surrounded by humans, but have relatively zero experience in raising children until we have to deal with our own. There are books and information we can search out there, but a lot of it is contradictory and misinformed, and merely opinions, on a large percentage of the cases. So... what to trust? It seems rather pointless, like having to reinvent the wheel every generation. I suppose we lost touch with that part of ourselves, our tribal origins that would have put us into contact with other people's children, and made us responsible to take care of them part time while the adults are outside hunting or gathering or planting or whatever. thing is, we miss it at a certain part of our lives. See how well-structured we are for life in a tribal society? We even miss something we never lived - because we see that our raising has left somethings unattended, something really very basic and human. How to care for our child.

People say that we (that is, your mum) know what to do, that mothers develop a very intense relationship with the child, so that they understand instinctively what are the child's needs, and what is wrong in most situations. And by Jove, I hope so, because I'm pretty sure I wouldn't know what do do if something went wrong sometime.

But I digress. Just wanted to tell you that you mother's body is already changing. And I see it. And am quite jealous, really, that she has all this contact with you, while I have to seek you through time in a blog.

Hugs and kisses,
Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.