Tuesday 19 July 2016

By the Way...

Will you be able to understand this? And why am I asking myself that?

See, the idea is that you will grow up bilingual. At this point I have an understanding with your mother - I will only talk to you in English, while she will be restricted to Portuguese. We want you to know things, and to have access to lots of things, and a basic knowledge of the most known language internationally is useful in many ways.

I have studied the development of the bilingual child in college, and it is the current understanding that you'll struggle a little bit more than your peers to understand our languages until you turn three - then the advantages start coming. You'll be more aware of linguistic differences, you will naturally develop two different vocabularies, you will likely perform better in expressing yourself and be smarter, have moreway with languages in general. 

This is supposed to teach you to think and express yourself in a better way. So, will we try? Are we (Roberta and I) willing to sacrifice the easy-going family way and put a little more pressure on you to help you develop yourself as a human being? I think it is worth it. We may have a problem, though - If I'm to express myself solely in English, I'd like your mother to understand us both as well - and Roberta just isn't up to scratch at this point. She doesn't completely understand spoken English (and I suppose she's been so busy professionally that she doesn't have the time to apply herself now, with college and work). It will be weird if I talk to her in a language and to you in another (though that's pretty much the foreseable future, as it appears from here). So, We're willing, and we'll try. I hope we can manage it - if we do, please understand that this probably was really difficult. 

You're just worth it. ;-)

By the way, that's the reason why I'm writing this blog in English. Call it incentive, and a manifest of hope, if you wish. The only thing that saddens me is the books that I'll not be able to read to you. (I mentioned we bought The Little Prince just before yesterday, and that's one I'd not be able to read you... despite loving it in its translation to Portuguese.)

Maybe I should have explained this a little sooner, innit (isn't it)? But I figure, if you'll ever see this, the plan worked. If not - hey, so many plans don't. I'm just eager to meet you anyway.

Bye, kiddo.
Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.